The Amaya Windmill is 180-200 years old. It was used to make bread and provided to the island and also Kodochori and Thirasia. It was one of the only buildings to survive the earthquake in 1956 and through the First and Second World Wars.
During the war in 1965 Germany tried to stop it but the owner had Italian friends who helped the business survive difficult times. Soon after the first owner Mr Panagioti stopped the business as he changed jobs. From this time the windmill has been family run through many years, and has been passed down from grandfather to neice, and today is cared for by a loving mother who named it after her beautiful daughter Maya.